‘Call for Participants’ – registration for the event has now closed
Rights, dignity and religion: responding to ‘modern slavery’
St Mary’s Conference Centre, Sheffield, UK, Friday 24 January 2020
We invite you to participate in this 1-day conference – an opportunity to discuss and debate how responses to ‘modern slavery’ can best secure the human rights and maintain the dignity of people experiencing severe exploitation.
- Keynote speaker: Dr Yvonne Zimmerman, Associate Professor, Methodist Theological School in Ohio, Author Other Dreams of Freedom: Religion, Sex and Human Trafficking, Oxford University Press.
- Sharing key findings of our three-year ESRC study ‘Understanding the roles of faith based organisations in anti-trafficking’.
- Exhibition of the ‘Unhidden’ collection of images and a workshop with photographer Jeremy Abrahams and Freedom United on representing modern slavery with accuracy, respect and dignity.
- Three panels or workshops over the course of the day will offer a mixture of academic and practice based presentations on themes of : visual images and representation; effective implementation of legislation and support and critiquing ‘modern slavery’.
- Roundtable on standards in supporting survivors of modern slavery with Minh Dang, Survivor Alliance; Lara Bundock, Snowdrop and Kate Roberts, Anti-Slavery International.
- Panels will include research perspectives from the UK, European and international contexts.
- Keynote closing panel with leading statutory, faith and NGO experts including Minh Dang, Survivor Alliance, Clare Gollop, Devon & Cornwall Police, Rt Rev Lord Bishop Alastair Redfern, Independent Anti Slavery Commissioner Dame Sara Thornton and Sister Marie Power HFB, Renate.
Register for the conference here (£30 higher education, business, statutory; £15 charity and voluntary; unwaged free): Registration for this event has now closed. Any queries contact Rebecca Murray email@example.com.
Part of the ESRC project Understanding the roles of faith based organisations in anti-trafficking (ES/N014979/1). Conference organised by Dr Hannah Lewis, Dr Rebecca Murray (University of Sheffield), Professor Emma Tomalin, Professor Louise Waite (University of Leeds). www.faithantitrafficking.org